Picture this: the heat is on, your AC is running, but water is leaking around your furnace or water heater. This is a common problem that many homeowners choose to ignore, hoping that it’s not a big deal. But before you brush off this scenario, read this list below to see if you can diagnose WHY there’s water on the floor. Call Dillon Plumbing for furnace or water heater repair in Boise!
If you notice water leaking around your Boise water heater or your furnace, here are a few things that it could be.
- Your Air Conditioner Might Have Trapped Water In It:
- Once your Air Conditioner starts running after not being used all season long, trapped water in the white PVC line that runs from your furnace to the outside or to a drain near the furnace may have turned into algae. The algae blocks water from flowing.
- A simple fix is to use an air compressor to blow out the line to the outside removing any blockage. Then just make sure it’s graded to flow outside so water won’t get trapped.
- Your Water Heater Is Leaking
- If your water heater is leaking, it may mean several things. Water coming from the T&P (Temperature and Relief) which is on the top or side of the water heater could mean the water heater is overheating and blowing water out. It could also mean your expansion tank (the basketball looking thing) which has an air bladder could be ruptured and needing to be replaced. These are designed for safety reasons and should be addressed immediately.
- Sometimes an older water heater will rust out. There is no repair for this. It will need to be replaced. Sizing the right water heater for your usage is crucial to having the same amount of hot water. While Boise water heaters are becoming more energy efficient they are also increasing the size due to the insulation. So sizing the area you have to the demand you need is important.
What Can You Do If You Suspect Your Water Heater Is Leaking?
Have your water heater inspected by the local plumbing authority.
As licensed plumbers we are required by state and city code (laws) to file a permit and have the AHJ (Authority having jurisdiction) inspect the water heater for code compliance. This means that it is illegal to have anyone install a water heater that is not a licensed journeyman plumber.
We have many times been called to inspect and perform code upgrades of Boise water heaters that were not permitted when the sale of a home is inspected and the illegal installation has been caught. We follow the plumbing code and do not make exceptions.
Consider Getting Your Water Heater Repaired or Replaced By A Professional
As your Boise water heater gets older, you have the option of replacing or repairing. Expected life of a water heater is 10-12 years. While many can last for 20 years, at some point you need to decide if a repair is worth the cost, or just replace it. We give you both options for you to decide. Most warranties on water heaters are only for 6 years with an option to purchase a 10 year. The extra money spent is just for the tank, which normally only rusts well after the 10 years so the extra money may not be worth it.
Call Dillon Plumbing for Water Heater Services in Boise And The Surrounding Areas
Use your Boise plumber for advice. While many ask questions on Facebook or go on YouTube, we believe ask those that know. Call an expert. We are always glad to help. This is our 61st year in business, we want to take care of our community and our customers. Call Dillon Plumbing today for water heater services in Boise and the surrounding areas